Monday, April 20, 2009

What is the Best Part 3

All right, I do get the question. You want to know who makes the best bike, right? You want me to tell you which bike to buy so you don't have to shop.
If you read my two latest posts, you know that I believe in the bike shop. You should buy your bike from the right people. Remember, any bike is great if it is built right, but there is an answer to the question, sort of.
You have to understand something: working at a bike shop was my dream job. It was better than anything I could imagine. I loved every minute of it, and I loved everyone involved in it. Sometimes, even after working for years, I would sit on my bench and take it all in. The lights, the floor paint, the truing stands, the drawers full of parts, the tools, the rows of repairs, the rows and rows of new bikes, the sound of the radio, and the smell of solvent, tires, WD 40, Tri-Flow, and Bill's cigars all put me into a state of enchantment. It was really like living a dream. I was right in the middle of everything I wanted to be part of.
The factory reps were like rock stars to me. I looked forward to their visits every month: Sharon from Raleigh, Byron from Specialized, Michael from Nishiki, Jeff from Trek, Stephanie from Advent, Brad on the phone at SBS, and a lot more that I can't remember. There were even some super legends like Phil Wood, Al Kreitler, and his dog Killer. I literally cried when Killer died.
Over the years, I bought, built, and sold a lot of their bikes (no particular order): Raleigh, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Nishiki, Masi, Ciocc, Colin Lange, Colin, Lange, Colian, Ian Lange, Takara, Barracuda, Bridgestone, Scott, Schwinn, Vitus, Cinelli, KHS, Zinn, Klein, Colnago, Gary Fisher, Fisher, Tom Ritchey, Ritchey, Ritchey Fisher, Cannondale, Santana, Fuji, Peugeot, Mongoose, Marin, K2, Kona, Fat City, Bianchi, Lite Speed, Kestrel, Olmo, Serrotta, Eddy Merckx, DeRosa, Guerciotti, Haro, Univega, Moulton, Alex Moulton, Robinson, Moser, Pinarello, Merlin...
I know I forgot some.
I have owned a few, too: Free Spirit 10-speed (had to admit it), Montgomery Ward banana seat bike (might as well include it), Lotus Éclair (still have it), Raleigh 753, Raleigh Commuter, Raleigh Elkhorn, Colian 753 (still have it), Klein Pinnacle (wish I still had it), Bridgestone MB-1, Gary Fisher Kaitai (still have it), Barracuda A2X (still have it), Specialized Rock Hopper (wife's bike I sold her when we met; still have it), and a couple of Schwinn Mountain bikes that my kids ride.
I have assembled, sold, repaired, ridden, owned, and adored thousands of bikes.
…and you want me to recommend one?
I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment